1979 TREK 412

Spring 2022
It seems only fitting to post a few photos of my beloved TREK since I've just updated her with a new set of wheels.
My family thought I was waisting my "college money" on a bicycle. (I had just bought an old BMW 2002. Why did I need a bike?) But I can still remember the excitement I felt when I first rode her home. I didn't know then that she'd be with me all these years and that we'd travel as far as we have together. She is my prized possesion and I feel very fortunate to still have her.

At my second year of university, my dormmate had a Fuji America touring bike that was like nothing I had ever seen. I was gob-smacked with it. Then during the summer break, I stumbled across this bike in the window of Toga Bikes in Greensboro, NC. The brand was fairly new and popular with the latest bicycle craze of "cycle touring". Hand-built it Waterloo Wisconsin, it was priced some where in the neighbourhood of $350.

I put $50 bucks down as a deposit on "Lizzie" and the rest is history.
Sugino Triple Crankset - Right after I returned from my first trip to the UK in 2009, I decided to replace my existing Shimano Biopace triple crank with much lower gearing. This Sugino 48/36/26 hits the spot nicely.
Shimano Deore RD MT60 - My third rear derailleur over the years. (The first was a Suntour and the second being a Shimano 600 as part of the groupset.) This one I picked up in a small shop in Surf City, NC back in 2007 after the return spring on my 600 simply rusted in half. I didn't think much about it at the time, but I should have kept the 600 and tried to replace the spring. But then too, the Deore long-cage is super hard to find now as well.
Zenith Large Flange Hubs - Spa Cycles built these up for me with a set of Exal LX17 rims. At the time of this posting, I've put nearly 300 miles on them and I love 'em.
Shimano 6-Speed TZ510 Freewheel - The de-facto 6-speed / 14-28 freewheel these days. It's very inexpensive, but works well. However, I'd like to get slightly lower gearing and IRD now makes a 13-32 that interests me greatly. ► Check it out.
TEKTRO R559 Brakes - One of the questionable decisions I recently made was to change the wheel size from 27" down to 700c. With that decision came the issue of having brake calipers long enough to reach the rim sidewalls. These Tektro's were guaranteed to fit — which they do... but, they may be a bit of an overkill. I do like their fit and finish, plus the dual-pivots work exceptionally well.

I had wanted the Shimano BR-R451's, but wasn't sure they'd fit. I now think they would have been fine and I could have stayed with the Shimano brand. Oh well.
Nitto B135AA Randonneur Handlebars and Nitto Technomic NTC-225 1 Inch Quill Stem - These two components had been on backorder for well over a year before arriving in the post without notice from SJS Cycles. I had yet to begin restoring my TREK, so these were the first new replacements.
Brooks Professional - They don't make these any longer, but there are several comparable saddles by Brooks. I've had this one since the mid-80's and it's still pretty comfortable, but I do like the looks of the Brooks Swift.
Zefal HPX Frame Pump - Hands down the best frame pump you can still buy. This one is nearly 20 years old and still works like a charm. Sadly though, finding one in silver is nearly impossible. I don't understand why everything has to be black these days?!?!?
Seat Stays - It's an unusual feature which I've heard that there are others out there like this. Some people presume that it was filled in when I had the frame resprayed 25 years ago, but the bike has been a TREK/REK since it was new. (Note too that both seat stays are a little wonky?)
Head Badge - Looking a little worn, but I kinda like the patina. The newer badges never had the style that the oringanl head badges displayed, IMHO.
Shimano 600 Pedals & Toe-clips - In the mid-eighties I upgraded the bike with the full Shimano 600 groupset. It was quite an investment at the time and just before the introduction of SIS technology.
Shimano 600 Friction Shifters - Despite every new bike now using some type of indexed shifting, I still love the feel of these friction levers. And just look at that style! Clearly Shimano was trying to compete with Campagnola. With a triple up front; six speeds is all you need out back!
Shimano 600 Seat Post - Just toss it in with the groupset and it looks great too.
Shimano Deore Front Derailleur - I picked this baby up when I moved to a triple front crankset in the mid-80's (the Biopace I mentioned earlier...). It's worked flawlessly for over 30 years. I understand too that new triple front derailleurs have a shorter pivot arm and won't work with older shifters. Gotta use vintage if I ever need to replace this girl.
SKS Mudguards/Fenders - This is my third or fourth set of these things. I like them, but they can break, plus over time they fade and discolour somewhat. I've got my eyes on a set of Gilles Berthoud stainless steel replacements. ► Check'em out.
Exal LX17 Rims - As I mentioned earlier, Spa Cycles built these wheels for me back in February of this year and I've put nearly 300 miles on them. I just love the satin and polished silver finish combo.
Shimano 600 Drilled Brake Levers - Great looking little levers. Again part of the 600 groupset and I haven't ever felt the need to replace them. The gum hoods; however, are Dia-comp and the only ones I can find that now fit.

Kirtland Handlebar Bag - The best designed handlebar bag ever. Simple, sturdy, positioned low, and aged to perfection. Everyone asks me where I got this bag. It's a shame they don't make them like this any longer.

Originally, I had the full set of touring bags but now I've only the handlebar bag and the rear panniers. (I have no idea what happened to my front panniers?!?! I loved those things!) Anyway, I plan to pull out the rear panniers and give them a workout this summer!
And there she is in her current configuration. She's not a museum showpiece, but I'm extremely cautious with her these days. She's just a summertime and sunny weather bike now and I only put about 1,000 miles on her a year.

She rides so smoothly and effortlessly. Everything just works — flawlessly. She gets loads of questions and compliments whenever she's spotted out on the road and I love her. I am a fortunate boy, indeed.